Fish of Legends Reception and Panel Discussion
Viewing our exhibits is free because of the generosity of Horicon Bank.
Exhibition will be on display from January 9 – February 15, 2020.
Opening Reception: January 22, 5 – 6 pm
Free admission and open to the public, view the work and meet the artists, biologists and sturgeon advocates who played a major role in the exhibition. Cash bar and snacks available.
Panel Discussion: January 22, 6 – 7 pm
Free admission and open to the public, this event features discussing the culture around sturgeon. The panel will feature artists, biologists and other sturgeon experts. Cash bar and snacks available.
- Each panelist will have about 15 minutes to present their topic along with a short Q&A
- Ryan Koenigs, DNR Sturgeon Biologist and Dr. Ron Bruch, Fisheries Scientist, UW Milwaukee School of Freshwater Sciences (representing the DNR)
- Anne Moser, Senior Special Librarian and Education Coordinator, UW Madison, Aquatic Sciences Center (representing the Wisconsin Sea Grant)
- Jim Patt, Sturgeon for Tomorrow Southwest Chapter President (representing Sturgeon for Tomorrow)
- Christopher Dowell, Documentary Photographer (discussing his work on display in the 1st floor gallery)
- A longer Q&A will occur at the end with a social hour afterwards from 7 – 8 pm
Stories have existed long before recorded history, and the telling of stories has changed forms drastically throughout the ages. Although the methods have changed, the desire to tell and hear stories has remained unchanged, and still greatly impacts the way we look at life. From generation to generation, fishing stories have served as a source of fascination, humor and pride. Many of these stories have been retold and embellished upon to the point they become legendary. The work in this exhibition focuses on such legendary stories of the sturgeon. The stories on display have been gathered and reinterpreted by local artists through painting, drawing, printmaking, graphic media and sculpture. Each of these artists uses the power of the visual image to ignite imaginations, evoke emotions and capture universal cultural truths to form a connection with this celebrated ancient fish.Free